Internet is something we all need nowadays, but what if your new apartment in Germany doesn’t have a connection to the web or you need a new one? You can look into internet providers. But what if you don’t want to sign these long-lasting contracts? Some German companies offer deals without a contract or without a minimum duration of the contract, which is usually 24 months.
Best home internet deals without a contract in Germany:
Are you looking for an internet provider in Germany without being obligated to sign a contract? In this article, we highlight the advantages and disadvantages of the internet without a contract, give information on the best internet companies, their current offers, and rates.
When Internet Package Without a Contract Makes Sense?
Nowadays, staying flexible is a priority of many people. Internet contracts with a minimum term of 12 or 24 months are becoming increasingly unattractive when you are moving around.
Especially young people can benefit from deals without a contract since they might don’t have a fixed place of residence, such as exchange students.
In following situations it is beneficial to get an internet provider without a contract:
- In case of temporary stays in the country, city, or an apartment
- To try out a new DSL provider and find the best deal
- In WGs – shared apartments with changing residents
- When you aren’t sure about your the long term plans
Home internet contacts usually run for 24 months in Germany and can only be canceled at the end of the contract term. This can be frustrating for many people who want to stay flexible or even don’t plan to stay in the country for that long.
Luckily, there a few internet providers who generously give us the opportunity to stay flexible and cancel the subscription when we need it. With that, in Germany, there is no such a term as the internet without contact but contact with no minimum duration (ohne Minderstlaufzeit).
In that case, you won’t be committing to the yearly contract and you can cancel your subscription at any time, respecting the termination period.
Nonetheless, in Germany, you always need to sign some kind of contract when getting internet to your apartment. These contracts will offer you flexibility because they can be terminated.
Termination of the contract
Offers without a long-term contract can be canceled relatively flexibly, but you still need to keep deadlines in mind. The termination period ranges from 4 weeks to 3 months depending on the provider.
In all cases, you need to give notice at the end of the month, for example, you cancel at the end of August, you will be out of the contract by 1 October (4 weeks notice period).
Advantages and Disadvantages of Internet Without a Contract
Internet packages with flexible terms definitely have their advantages and disadvantages. For some people, it’s the only option, others will prefer committing to the long-term subscription.
Here are some advantages of internet provider without a contract:
- no long-term commitment
- short notice period
- stay flexible, try different providers & packages
The biggest advantage is by far the flexibility.
However, we should keep in mind clear disadvantages which comes with such deal:
- higher price
- no or fewer discounts
- one-time setup fees
- router fees
The only real disadvantage of the internet without a contract is the higher cost. The higher flexibility comes at the expense. For example, you will have to pay a higher setup fee, or for the router.
Internet Providers in Germany Without a Contract
Firstly we need to mention, that there is no internet deal without a contract, but with flexible terms and a shorter notice period. Customers can get out of contract at any time they want, but they must comply with a certain notice period.
You can find flexible broadband deals with following providers:
O2 is headquarters in Munich and is the second biggest telecommunication provider after Telecom. In addition to the home internet, they offer a wide range of products and services, including, phones, sim cards, mobile internet, etc.
In other countries, you might recognize O2 as a Telefónica. O2 offers different internet deals for individuals, young people (students), and even for the self-employed.
The download speed can be up to 250 Mbps and upload is up to 40 Mbps. With O2 a customer can enjoy a DSL connection that delivers broadband internet. The upload speed will depend if it’s a cable-based connection or DSL. You can select which connection you prefer during the ordering process.
The XXL tariff with fiber optic is only available regionally. There are 4 main internet deals. All of them can be without a contract (with no minimum time) or standard – 24 months.
O2 offers the following DSL deals without a minimum contract:
- O2 my Home S Flex – 24,99 EUR monthly
- O2 my Home M Flex – 29,99 EUR monthly
- O2 my Home L Flex – 34,99 EUR monthly
- O2 my Home XL Flex – 44,99 EUR monthly
Plus you need to calculate single expense of 69,99 EUR for the setup (for all deals).
Rates for internet with a contact are always lower:
- O2 my Home S – 14,99 EUR monthly, from the 13th months 24,99 EUR
- O2 my Home M – 19,99 EUR monthly, from the 13th months 29,99 EUR
- O2 my Home L – 24,99 EUR monthly, from the 13th months 34,99 EUR
- O2 my Home XL – 34,99 EUR monthly, from the 13th months 44,99 EUR
- O2 my Home S Flex – 10 Mbit/s download, upload up to 2 Mbit/s – very slow
- O2 my Home M Flex – 50 Mbit/s download, upload up to 10 Mbit/s
- O2 my Home L Flex – 100 Mbit/s download, upload up to 40 Mbit/s
- O2 my Home XL Flex – 250 Mbit/s download, upload up to 40 Mbit/s
Moreover, O2 packages without a contract have similar benefits as with the contract:
- Same maximum speed
- Unlimited data volume per month (from deal M) – endless internet
- German landline with a flat rate for other landlines and German mobile phones
How long can you use internet from O2 without a contract?
Customers can stay flexible and use the internet as long as they want. If you want to cancel or change a package, do it at the end of the month and 4 weeks prior to the end date.
How long is the termination period?
Flexible DSL packages can be canceled with a period of 4 weeks prior to the end date or to the end of the month. For the normal long-term deals expect a cancelation period of 3 months and only at the end of the contract, hence, 24 months.
1&1 is one of the best internet providers in Germany, which also offers DSL deals without a contract, among all others products and services. The company uses Telekom (the biggest telecommunication company in Germany) lines. Unlike the O2, the 1&1 packages have a notice period of 3 months, so you must let a company know in advance.
This internet provider has one of the fastest broadband and fibre deals in the country.
Customers can select between a wide range of internet options, starting from speed to connection type. Speed starts from 16 Mbit/s all the way up to 250 Mbit/s and even 1 Gbit/s for people with special needs. Compared to other internet providers 1&1 offers very competitive rates and great service.
Flexible deals of 1&1 include:
- DSL 16 (16 is speed) – 29,99 EUR monthly
- DSL 50 – 34,99 EUR monthly
- DSL 100 – 39,99 EUR monthly – best deal!
- DSL 250 – 44,99 EUR monthly
- GLASFASER 1.000 – 69,99 EUR monthly
When signing for a normal contract (24 months) clients enjoy great discounts, so the first 6 months you will pay only the fraction of the price
- DSL 16 – first 6 months 9,99 EUR, after 29,99 EUR monthly
- DSL 50 – first 6 months 14,99 EUR, after 34,99 EUR monthly
- DSL 100 – first 6 months 9,99 EUR, after 39,99 EUR monthly – best deal!
- DSL 250 – first 6 months 19,99 EUR, after 49,99 EUR monthly
- GLASFASER 1.000 – first 6 months 39,99 EUR, after 69,99 EUR monthly
Same as with normal DSL rates, you will receive a full DSL connection including a flat rate landline for German numbers, including mobile. All flexible deals from 1&1 can be tested for one month, to see if you like them. Moreover, dissatisfied customers get their money back.
Moreover, 1&1 has some special deals for young people such as students or appreciates, check it down below.
How long can you use internet from 1&1 without a contract?
As long as you wish.
How long is the termination period?
Flexible deals from 1&1 can be canceled 3 months in advance, for normal contacts 3 months apply as well, but you can only cancel at the end of the term (24 months).
M-net has more of a regional focus with headquarter in Munich. They offer a wide variety of packages without a contract. In addition to the broadband internet, M-net offers SIM cards with mobile data, deals start already from 9,99 EUR.
They operate particularly in the Bavaria region, so most people residing in this area can use the M-net internet. Surfing speed is ranging between 25 Mbit/s and 600 Mbit/s.
M-net pricing is similar to the 1&1 and very beneficial for signing clients. You will get the first 6 months more than a 50% discount, and later you can consider paying the normal price or switching the provider.
Broadband deals without a contract:
- Surf-Flat 25 – 24,90 EUR
- Surf-Flat 50 – first 6 months 14,90 EUR after 29,90 EUR,
- Surf-Flat 100 – first 6 months 14,90 EUR after 34,90 EUR
- Surf-Flat 300 – first 6 months 14,90 EUR after 39,90 EUR
- Surf-Flat 600 – first 6 months 14,90 EUR after 54,90 EUR
- Surf-Flat 25 – 25 download, upload up to 5 Mbit/s – that’s very slow
- Surf-Flat 50 – 50 download, upload up to 10 Mbit/s
- Surf-Flat 100 – 100 download, upload up to 40 Mbit/s
- Surf-Flat 300 – 300 download, upload up to 100 Mbit/s
- Surf-Flat 600 – 600 download, upload up to 200 Mbit/s
M-net has a special offer for young people under 25 years old for just 29,99 EUR without additional setup costs.
If you want also phone to be included, check out these deals:
- Surf&Fon Flat 100 – first 6 months 14,90 EUR, after 39,90 EUR
- Surf-&Fon Flat 300 – first 6 months 14,90 EUR, after 44,90EUR
- Surf&Fon Flat 600 – first 6 months 14,90 EUR, after 59,90 EUR
The same packages can be also taken as long-term deals, the length of the regular contract is 24 months.
How long can you use internet from M-net without a contract?
As long as you wish, but keep cancellation period in mind.
How long is the termination period?
The cancelation period at M-net is 6 weeks, it’s better than with 1&1 but less flexible than O2. When signing a normal contract you need to cancel 3 months in advance.
Internet Without a Contract for Students
Moreover, O2 and 1&1 have special internet deals for students! They can be with or without a contract, as you wish.
- O2 DSL S for young people – 9,99 EUR monthly
- O2 DSL M for young people – 9,99 EUR monthly
- 1&1 DSL Young 50 – 14,99 EUR monthly
- 1&1 DSL Young 100 – 16,99 EUR monthly
- M-net Young – 29,99 Monthly
Here you can choose between a flexible monthly subscription or 24 months contract. The latter will be surely less expensive. Also, keep in mind expenses for setup and router.
- O2 DSL S for young people – 46,76 EUR for the router plus set up 29,99 EUR
- O2 DSL M for young people – 47,76 EUR for the router
- 1&1 DSL Young 50 – set up 19,95 EUR
- 1&1 DSL Young 100 S – set up 19,95 EUR
1&1 seems to offer a better deal for students who want to stay for a short period of time in the country or in this particular apartment.
Also, read Best SIM cards in Germany (for students and more!).
Fonial is an exceptional and flexible internet provider for businesses, freelancers, and self-employed. In fact, all their broadband packages can be canceled on a monthly basis. Depending on availability in your location, speed ranges from 16 Mbit/s to 250 Mbit/s.
Fonial is one of the best-rated internet providers in Germany, you can read reviews here. They have achieved these results through providing excellent service and support to their clients in the last 7 years.
Broadband deals from Fonial:
- DSL 16 – 19,99 EUR monthly incl. taxes
- DSL 50 – 38,98 EUR monthly incl. taxes
- DSL 100 – 43,98 EUR monthly incl. taxes
- DSL 250 – 52,98 EUR monthly incl. taxes
- DSL 16 – 16 download, upload up to 1 Mbit/s
- DSL 50 – 50 download, upload up to 10 Mbit/s
- DSL 100 – 100 download, upload up to 40 Mbit/s
- DSL 250 – 250 download, upload up to 40 Mbit/s
New customers also need to pay a single expenses for the setup, which is 70 EUR for all deals.
To sign for a Fonial, go to there website and check the availability at your address, after that you can register online.
How long is the termination period?
At Fonial, the cancellation period is 4 weeks. Unlikely other providers, you don’t have to wait till the end of the month, with Fonial customers can cancel at any time
Search on the comparison platform – Verivox
You can also use platform Verivox to compare internet providers in Germany. It gives an overview of all rates and terms of the companies. To see only broadband deals without a contract you should select 1 month in the graph “Laufzeit des neuen Vertrages”.
Unfortunately, most internet service providers in Germany still prefer to offer long-term contracts with a common length of 24 months. Hence, all businesses we have mentioned, are among the few others that are ready to give you this flexibility.
Recommended products and services in Germany:
- Health insurance for students
- Health insurance for expats, employees, business owners, freelancers
- Best price & value sim card and best deal overall including high-speed internet
- Blocked banking account for students
- Order translation of the documents online
- Check how much you can earn in Germany (for all professions)
- Free online consultation/assessment with German lawyers and tax advisors
- Submit your tax declaration in Germany online and at an affordable price
- Liability insurance
- Car insurance
- Compare providers and rates for various insurances, including health, liability, house, landowner insurances, and others.
- Get your first 3 free money transfers in Germany and Send money from/to Germany across the world for pennies.
This post contains affiliate links. The affiliate link means I may earn an advertising/referral fee if you make a purchase through my link, without extra cost to you. It helps to keep this blog afloat. Thanks for your support.