Virtual credit cards aren’t very common in Germany. But they have become more popular since online shopping is growing rapidly together with the usage of online banking. Even in traditional Germany online spending seems to be a new normal.
The best virtual credit cards in Germany are:
- Bunq (MasterCard)
- VIABUY (MasterCard)
- Netbank (MasterCard)
- Neteller (MasterCard)
- VIMpay (MasterCard)
- Kredupay (Mastercard)
So you have been living in Germany for a while and decided to make online payments and purchases easier? A virtual credit card can be a good solution for this. In this article you will learn all about virtual cards in Germany and which one is the best. If you need a proper credit card in Germany check out this article.
Best virtual credit cards in Germany
Unfortunately, virtual credit cards aren’t well known and widely spread in Germany as they may be in other places. Here we picked the best of them, so you can shop online in Germany or internationally with ease:
|VIABUY||bunq easy Bank|
|Annual fees in the 1-st year||69,90€||2,99€|
|Annual fees in the 2-nd year||19,90€||2,99€|
|Payments in EUR||Free||Free|
|Payments in the non-EUR currencies||2,75%||Free|
|Cash withdraws worldwide||5€||0,99€|
Our pick – Bunq
Bunq is a relatively new banking concept founded in the Netherlands. The offer new generation banking, everything is online, simple, and fast. If you reside in EU, Bunq is a great option. It will allow you to use banking not only in Germany but also in other countries at no cost.
Bunq is one of the best online banks so far, the app has an amazing user interface and is simple to navigate.
The personal account costs 2,99 EUR per month, with that you will get 25 sub-accounts, multiple debit cards including MasterCard and Maestro, and a travel card at no extra cost, all will be shipped to you.
They offer a 1-month free trial, during which you can test the product.
Best features of Bunq:
- Bank account without credit score check
- Shop safely with disposable virtual cards
- Instant transfers/payments
- Free ATM withdrawals
- 3 free cards (1x Maestro, 2x Mastercard), 5 virtual online cards, up to 25 IBAN bank accounts
- 24/7 lockable, support in 7 languages
- online and mobile banking
- banking app for your smartphone
*If you are a freelancer – special account for you with simple payouts, taxes, and invoice management.
The registration for VIABUY process is straightforward. You need only to prove your identity and address.
Best features of VIABUY:
- European IBAN
- Free SEPA transfers
- compatible with all German bank accounts
- High acceptance rate
- No credit score check
- Free payments in EUR
- Customer service 24/7
- 69,90 EUR annual fee in the first year, but only 19,90 afterwards
Netbank is a normal German bank offering bank accounts, cards, loans, and financing and deposits.
Best features of Netbank:
- Virtual Mastercard, no plastic, easy handling
- Add funds from any German/foreign bank account
- Available after 24 hours
- No credit score check
- Fast reload in 24h
- Worldwide usage
- High security
- Fee just 7,50 EUR per year
- Limit 10,000 EUR
Neteller is an online wallet that you can use to make online purchases, payments, money transfers, buy and sell cryptocurrencies based in the UK. The wallet comes with Neteller virtual MasterCard and physical card. It works almost the same as a bank account.
Best features of Neteller:
- Available and works at over 100 countries
- Available in 28 different currencies including EUR, USD, AUD, GBP, CAD, INR
- Add money via the bank, credit card, debit card, POLi, BPAY, iDEAL, cryptocurrency, etc.
- Spend up to 6,300 EUR per day
VIMpay is a mobile payment system based on a prepaid Master Card. The card system was developed and launched by the two fintech companies PayCenter and petaFuel.
Best features of VIMpay:
- No annual fee
- No contract period
- Management of several accounts in one app
- Compatible with all German bank accounts
- No annual turnover limit
- Accepted worldwide
- Mobile payments can be made via Google Pay, Apple Pay, Fitbit Pay and Garmin Pay in addition to VIMpayGO
- Send money via VIMpay Chat or QR code
- Can only be used via the smartphone app
Things you should know about a virtual credit card with VIMpay
- You must have German bank account
- 10 EUR is one-time activation fee
- Maximum card balance of 10,000 EUR
- Annual fees for the paid subscriptions from 24 EUR 96 EUR for Ultra
- 2% commission on payments in foreign currency
- You will receive a physical card with paid versions
The virtual Mastercard credit card from Kredu from Bremen is quite a market novelty in Germany. It’s a virtual credit card with a credit line (overdraft facility).
The card provider also ensures simple and convenient usage of the Mastercard card with a credit line of up to 2,000 EUR if you even find yourself in need for financing. Hence, KREDU helps you in unexpected financial emergencies 24/7.
- Virtual Mastercard
- Annual fee of 99 EUR
- Purchase card online and use immediately
- 25 EUR starting credit
- Available for people with minimal monthly income of 500 EUR
- Up to 2,000 EUR limit in the credit
- Worldwide payments
What is virtual credit card?
Since online banking is booming, virtual credit cards are also becoming increasingly popular. A virtual card is a credit card where you no longer have a plastic card in your hand, but only the card information necessary to make purchases and payments online. This will be sufficient for any online transaction.
These cards are also called online credit cards and consist of the 4 most important credit card information:
- Credit card number
- Expiration date (MM/YY)
- Verification number (CVV, CVC)
- Name of the cardholder
Virtual credit cards are considered to be a quick, easy and secure way to pay for purchases, travel, services, etc. online. However, virtual credit cards have the same concept as prepaid credit cards, so you will need to load the balance before making a purchase.
Thus, they don’t allow overdraft, that’s why in most cases no credit score (Schufa) check is required. Therefore, almost everyone can apply for a virtual credit card. For a normal credit card, one will need some sort of income.
You can apply for a virtual credit card easily and quickly online.
Virtual credit cards are payment cards that are primarily suitable for online shopping and are usually issued without a credit check.
Is that a good option for you?
If you like to shop online a lot (especially internationally) this type of card can be a great solution while living in Germany. Moreover, a good virtual credit card is free of charge.
Also, a virtual credit card can be particularly suitable for people who can’t apply for a classic credit card due to a negative credit score.
Virtual credit cards are payment cards that are primarily suitable for online shopping and are usually issued without a credit check. However, they are only suitable for online payments.
Unlikely to German credit cards you won’t have an overdraft facility with a virtual credit card. Thus, a customer must load some funds on the account before using it.
You can top a virtual credit card with:
- Bank transfer
- Western Union
You must have some other payment option available, like a normal German debit or credit card. Never rely on only virtual credit cards.
Finally, virtual credit cards definitely can’t compete with a normal credit card. Their use is very limited, both in everyday life and while traveling.
Anyway, if you are in need for money you can also apply for a personal loan in Germany without the necessity to open any credit card. Read here how foreigners can take a loan in Germany and more about personal loans in Germany.
Advantages of virtual credit cards
There are definitely some benefits you will get with a virtual credit card:
- No credit score (Schufa) check
- Easy application without waiting period
- Full control of expenses
- Worldwide acceptance
- Available for people with low to no income
- Available for people with poor credit score
- Easy recharge
- No physical card – no risk of theft
- No need to set up new checking account
Disadvantages of virtual credit cards
As always there are some disadvantages that come with the usage of virtual credit cards:
- No physical, real credit card
- Can only be used online
- No cash withdrawals
- Possible fees – annual fees or fees for top up
- Possible fees for purchases in different currencies
- Not suitable for travel
- No overdraft possibility (in most cases)
Virtual or normal credit card?
As you can see virtual credit cards have some limitations, especially when you want to loan some money from the card provider. It’s also not suitable for traveling if you are into that.
Hence, all frequent travelers will need to apply for a real credit card. With this card, you can also pay for all your online purchases.
In addition, many classic credit cards offer numerous other benefits such as:
- Contactless payment at shops
- Paying and withdrawing cash free of charge worldwide
- Booking rental cars or hotel rooms
- In some cases, you will get additional insurance coverages
- Bonus programs – earning Payback points and miles.
Because virtual credit cards often include fees to it you will save money with a normal credit card. Moreover, many credit card providers offer rewards or funds to new customers. Yet, for some reason, Germans still barely use credit cards, but it will probably change in the near future.
Best credit cards in Germany
Our top alternatives to virtual credit cards in Germany are:
- Payback American Express
- DKB Credit Card Visa
- Free Mastercard Gold
- TF Mastercard
- Free Santander BestCard Basic
- 1822direkt Classic Credit Card
|Bank||Monthly fees||Card type||Cash withdrawals in EU/abroad||Payments in EU/abroad||Bonus||Interest rate|
|Barclays Visa card||Free||Visa||Free/Free||Free/Free||0% interest rate on spendings under 500 EUR||Zero interest rate on spendings under 500 EUR, after - 18.38%|
|American Express Payback||Free||AMEX||4%||Free/2%||1 payback for each 2 EUR spent |
Plus 1,000 extra payback points as a start
|TF Bank||Free||Mastercard||Free/Free||Interest rate||19,39%|
|Deutschland-Kreditkarte||Free||Visa||Free/Free||Free/Free||Credit line 2,500 EUR|
No interest rate in the first 3 months
|Free Mastercard Gold||Free||Mastercard||Interest rate 1,49%||Free/Free||19,44%|
|DKB Visa Card||2,49 EUR||Visa||Free/Free||Free/Free||Cash-back up to 20%||6,58%|
If you are looking for a normal free credit card with a credit limit, which you can use in everyday life in Germany as well as when traveling, the DKB credit card including a current account is a good choice. This card is one of the best in Germany, it can be used abroad free of charge (payments and withdraws).
In the end, you should decide for yourself what is the best option a virtual credit card or a classic one. Eventually, you can use your checking German account for necessary payments and transactions, check all opportunities out!
Recommended products and services in Germany:
- Health insurance for students
- Health insurance for expats, employees, self-employed and freelancers
- Best international health insurance
- Liability insurance
- Car insurance or find one here
- Best free credit card
- Best free bank account
- Compare providers and rates for various insurances, sim cards, internet, electricity, banking accounts, credits & loans, and more.
- Loan with minimal requirements
- Compare loans
- Best price & value sim card and best deal overall including high-speed internet
- Learn German on the best online platform
This post contains affiliate links. The affiliate link means we may earn an advertising/referral fee if you make a purchase through our link, without extra cost to you. It helps to keep this blog afloat. Thanks for your support.
Vienna is the largest city in Austria, the 7th-largest city by population in the EU, and is ranked as the city with the best quality of life in the world. However, when it comes to getting a job,...
In Germany, you often will come across the Gebührenfrei Mastercard credit card, also known as Advanzia Mastercard Gold. This credit card is a perfect solution for most people in Germany, and it's...