Best Countries in Europe for Au Pair Program

Dec 30, 2019Get Started, Programs Abroad, Work Abroad

As I mentioned in another post in russian, the program Au Pair is a good start if you want to move to another country or just get to know culture and life there. You will live with the local family, take care of kids and some light housework and explore the country in meanwhile.

For your help, you will receive a salary (pocket money), a place to sleep and food. Sounds like a good deal right? So which places in Europe are best to work as an Au pair and create unforgettable experiences? Check this website to find your perfect host family, where I found mine!

Top countries in Europe for Au Pair program and monthly salary:

  • Germany

Pay: 260 EURO; Work: 30 hours per week.

  • Italy

Pay: 300 EURO; Work: 30 hours per week.

  • Spain

Pay: 280 EURO; Work: 25 hours a week

  • Netherlands

Pay: 340 EURO; Work: 30 hours a week 

  • Austria

Pay: 450 EURO; Work: 18 hours a week 

  • Switzerland

Pay: 500-700 EURO; Work: 25-30 hours a week 

  • France

Pay: 320 EURO; Work: 30 hours a week 

  • United Kingdom

Pay: 360-450 EURO; Work: 30 hours a week 

  • Ireland

Pay: 9,25 EURO per hour; Work: 25-30 hours a week 

  • Finland

Pay: 280 EURO; Work: 30 hours a week 

  • Sweden

Pay: 335 EURO; Work: 25 hours per week

  • Norway

Pay: 530 EURO; Work: 30 hours per week

You have many counties to choose from, they all very different from each other, what else should you consider before making the final decision? Most of the future au-pair choose country base on the language they want to learn, however, you need to look at more factors as just this.

Salary and living standards

The hosting family covers your living expenses, however, you need money to discover a country, go out, buy closes and etc.

In which country you will earn the most and in which the least? It’s not that important if you don’t know the cost of living there. It very depends on the city where you will be, here I give an overview of the entire country as a whole.


Language: English, Irish English

Becoming Au-Pair in Ireland gives you a wonderful opportunity to improve English and to explore amazing Irish nature. As long as you can tolerate the rainy weather it is a great country to choose from.

Moreover, Ireland has different regulations for Au-pair’s earning, families there pay 9, 25 EURO per hour, which comes to 1,110 EURO per month with 30 hours working week. The cost of living is even higher than in England and comes to 2,000 EURO per month.


Language: Swiss-german, German, French, Italian.

With high salaries and one of the best qualities of life in the world, it is easy to see why being Au-pair in Switzerland is so popular. Zurich, Geneva and Basel and some of the most popular cities to work.

Bordered by five countries, this country is one of the best places to live if you’re interested in European travel. Depending on where you’re based, you can walk over the border for a beer in Germany or drive to France for some shopping.

It pays more than other countries between 500 and 700 EURO, but I promise you will spend A LOT there. I am living now on the Swiss border and visit the country regularly. So be aware of this. Cost of living for one person about 2,000 EURO per month.


Language: Norwegian

Living in Norway as au-pair you can improve (or learn from zero) your Norwegian language skills and learn about Norwegian society with a Norwegian family. 

Norway is a mountainous region with peaks and fjords which makes these scenic views. While spending time there you will be plenty of opportunities for hiking and skiing. 

Au-pair in Norway receives a solid salary of 530 EURO in a month. That should be enough to travel in the country, although high-quality standards. Cost of living between 2,000 and 2.500 EURO per month.

As you can see the 3 highest paid counties also have a very high cost of living. Meaning your expenses will be high as well, especially for traveling. If you decide to be au-pair in one of this country i would recomend to stay within county and not travel much, so you can keep your expenses low.

United Kingdom

Language: British English

Improve your English, make new friends and spend your weekends visiting famous, oldest in the world cities and attractions.  It is a multicultural capital of the world, England is known for wannabe migrants looking for a new start. There are plenty of opportunities and things to do, explore, learn, drink and eat.

As au-pair, you will earn between 360-450 EURO per month. The cost of living is lower than in previous countries but high as well around 1,700 EURO. London is way more expensive than other cities, rent costs twice more.


Language: German, Austrian Dialect

Austrians are well known for their relaxed attitude and appreciation of their country’s beautiful landscape. It has a rich history that has influenced Europe for centuries.

Austria located in the middle of Europe what makes travel very easy and cost-effective. Here you can spend time enjoying the mountains, touring historic castles or exploring cities such as Vienna, Graz.

The salary is surprisingly high (450 EURO) compared to working hours which are around 18 hours per week. The cost of living in Austria around 1,400 EURO for one Person.

The Netherlands

Language: Dutch

The Netherlands is one of the most popular places for au pairs. With its fair working conditions, charming architecture and accessibility to many other European countries, it’s a great place to spend a year, especially for native English speakers.

Since au pairs are fairly common there, the country has a very well-organized structure in place to help make the process as stressless as possible for au pairs and their host families.

If you would love biking through Amsterdam’s picturesque streets, eat waffles and famous meat bolls and learn about dutch lifestyle – welcome to the Netherlands! Au pair earns 340 EURO per month what is the decent amount for the dutch cost of living which is around 1,300 for a single person.


Language: Swedish

It is the second scandinavic country on the list. Sweden has it both beautifully sunny summers, and cool icy winters Au pairs will find this country a wonderful destination if they’re interested in vibrant and cultural cities, learning the Swedish language, and living in a safe and welcoming country with a lot of privacy.

Swedish nature is untouchable and the country remains to be less inhibited.

Au pair earns 335 EURO and the cost of living is around 1,500 per month.


Language: French

Next on our salaries ranking comes France. One of the most beautiful with diverse scenery countries in Europe. Nice climate, amazing foods, and cultural experiences.

France is known all over the world for its cuisine, art, wine, and fashion. And while you may know about the big french names (Chanel, Mona Lisa, baguettes, croissants), each region has its own special dishes, culture, and sights to try and experience. 

With the salary of 320 EURO au-pair have good opportunities to travel within the country. The cost of living in France around 1,500 per month.


Language: Italian

Italy is exciting and offers au-pairs an unforgettable time. Visit the canals of Venice, the ancient Roman monuments and the Vatican, Trevi Fountain and take a scooter tour of Naples.

Italy is beautiful, as well as people, food, language. You won’t disappointed about expenses too, especially south is considered to be very budget-friendly. What gives the opportunity to explore and try all this tasty food.

Au-pair earns 300 EURO per month. The cost of living varies strongly on location, average 1,000 – 1,200 EURO for one person.


Language: Finnish

It was nice to talk about south, but now back to the north, to scandinavic Finnland. Finland is known as one of the happiest countries on the planet. Like the rest of Scandinavia, it has a high level of education, health care and one of the best working conditions for its citizens. Therefore, it’s a famous destination for au-pairs.

Weather is harsh though, expect to buy a warm winter jacket and keep it on throughout the year. You will find lots of private space in Finnland, as finish folk very much appreciate privacy and people’s density is quite low there.

A country filled with history and culture, with world-class museums, art galleries, and ancient castles. Finland offers great viewpoints for the Northern Lights.

While working in the Finnish family you will earn 280 EURO. It is not much, but you don’t need more, the best things to do in Finland like outdoor are free. However scandinavic cost of living remains to be relatively high at about 1,300 EURO.


Language: Spanish

Hola and welcome to Spain. Spain is one of our top-rated countries to work as an au-pair due to modern cities, sunny weather, tasty food, and friendly people. It is a land of football, sangria and tapas lovers. Every region in Spain is unique. Historical monuments, medieval castles, and small villages stretch across the most diverse landscapes in Spain.

Life in Spain is notably slower than in other European countries. It’s common to spend 2 hours at lunch, following by siesta and then a long dinner with drinks.

Working as au-pair gives you a fantastic opportunity to improve your Spanish skills. Living in with a Spanish speaking family means you will be surrounded by the language and pick up it in no time. In most cases, Spanish people don’t speak well English so you will have to!

Your salary will be 280 Euro and Spanish cost of living luckily one of the lowest in Europe and comes to 1,000 EURO per month.


“My time as an Au Pair”

Language: German, many dialects

County where I did my au-pair program and created the best experiences in my life. If you like history and culture then Germany is the top pics for au-pairs in Europe. 

From the Alps in the southern state of Bavaria to the harbors of northern Hamburg, Germany has a lot to offer. There plenty of cities to explore with 16-century streets, ancient architecture and castles to explore. And Berlin is now consistently ranked as one of the coolest and modern cities in the world.

If you like beer culture, same as me, then you should check out Oktoberfest – the world’s biggest and best beer festival. Also, each state in Germany has its own beer, be sure to try them all and find your favorite.

Unfortunately, german families pay the least salary to au-pair – 280 EURO, however, that was not a problem for me. Compared to other European countries, the cost of living in Germany is very reasonable.

Things like alcohol, travel, clothing, and activities are relatively cheap. As you can see Germany is a relatively affordable country (except the south) with the cost of living of 1,000 EURO.

The legal situation for Au Pairs

Now you know expenses you might face based on the cost of living in each country and your estimated earnings too. As next, we will look at visa requirements for working as au-pair in each of these countries.

So that you know EU counties are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

EEA countries: all counties from EU plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway.

Switzerland is neither an EU nor EEA member but is part of the single market – this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.


Au pairs from the EEA countries do not need a work permit or visa to work in Ireland. They only have to register with the Irish police when they arrive.

Au pairs from Argentina, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea and the United States can come to Ireland under the Working Holiday scheme. Au pairs from these countries need to apply for a Working Holiday Authorisation at the Irish Embassy in their country and meet the requirements specific to their country.

Au pair from Non-EU/EEA countries can obtain a work -permit or student visa if they are registered to study English at an approved language school. A work permit is needed for non-EU citizens to work legally in Ireland. It is usually issued for two years but can be extended. It can take up to 8 weeks for processing time.


Au pairs are only admitted to Switzerland if they come from the European Union (EU) member countries, the USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Au pairs are required to be between 17 and 30 years of age, unmarried and have to stay in Switzerland for a minimum of 12 months and a maximum of 18 months. 

The Swiss government has a limited quota for au pairs permits. Limitations are placed on the numbers of individuals from specific countries who may come to Switzerland. That means they accept only a fixed amount of application based on au-pair’s country of origin.


To become an au pair in Norway it is necessary for everyone to apply for a work permit at the Norwegian embassy of their home country before going to Norway.

The au pair is only allowed to enter Norway if he or she holds a valid work permit. Before you apply for the permit you must have a job offer in Norway, for this, you need an “Offer of Employment” contract signed by the host family as proof of the job offer.

You can obtain application forms from the Norwegian embassy or consulate in your home country. Be aware that, on average, the application takes 3-6 months.

United Kingdom

Au pairs coming from any EU country don’t need a visa to work in the UK. However, participants from countries not belonging to the EU/EEA, and Switzerland need to apply for a visa to participate in the au pair program in the UK. In most cases, the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme or Tier 4 (General) Student Visa will be a perfect solution.

Au pair from countries like there Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, and Monaco falls into Scheme “Tier 5”, there they only need to prove enough savings – at least 1 890 GBP.

For applicants from Hong Kong, Taiwan and the Republic of Korea, the government will be the sponsor during the whole stay in the UK. The number of places for both visa and sponsorship certificates is limited.

Moreover, the visa application has to be submitted up to 3 months after receiving the sponsorship certificate.


Au pairs from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland do not need a visa or a residence permit to work in Austria. Applicants from other countries need to apply for a “special paid work” (Aufenthaltsbewilligung – Sonderfälle unselbstständiger Erwerbstätigkeit) residence permit to become an au pair in Austria. 

The Netherlands

According to Official Regulations, the au pair program in the Netherlands only available through designated Au Pair agencies. As an EU, EEA citizen you don’t need a visa, the only requirement is to be between 18-31 years old.

Applicants from Non-European Union countries have to apply for a visa. Approved Au Pair agency will be in charge of informing you about the specific requirements according to your nationality. 

Additionally, you will need to make an appointment at the embassy of the Netherlands in your home country to find out the specific requirements and finally apply for a visa.


EU/EEA citizens do not need residence permits for staying in Sweden for more than three months. If you are a citizen aged 18-30 of a country, who is not a member of the EU/EEA and wish to work in Sweden you must have a work permit sticker attached to your passport before entering the country. The average processing time for an au pair Visa is 2-3 months.


If you hold a passport from a country that is a member of the EU/EEA, you are able to work without restriction. If you a national of a Non-EU/EEA country, you must obtain a work visa or permit in order to work in France. This will allow you to work in France for one year.

France currently has working holiday agreements with Canada, New Zealand and Australia. Participants from these countries could work as au pair without a permit and fund their travels.


Au pairs from the EU/EEA do not need a work permit to enter Italy on this program. However, future au pairs from Non-EU counties are required to obtain a long-stay visa.

In order to apply for this visa, it will be required a certificate of enrolment from any Italian School where the au pair will be attending an Italian language course. The course must be at least 20 hours per week. The visa will be issued for the length of time of the au pairs enrolment in the language school.


For citizens of EU/EEA countries or the Nordic countries, it is not necessary to apply for a residence permit to stay as an au pair in Finland. However, they need to register their right to reside in the country.

Non-EU citizen has to apply for a residence permit card in the Finnish Embassy of the homeland, before coming to Finland.

The nationals of Australia and New Zealand can apply for a working holiday residence permit instead.


EU/EEA citizens do not need a visa to become an au pair in Spain. If they want to stay longer than 3 months they are required to announce this to the Foreign Nationals Authority and apply for:

  • NIE number (Número de identidad de extranjero) if you are staying for longer than 3 months. This is a personal number issued for tax purposes
  • Registration Certificate as an EU resident (Certificado de Registro como Residente Comunitario) if you are staying for longer than 3 months.

Non-EU citizens must have a visa to work as an au pair, there are two options:

  • Student visa – you need to be enrolled in a Spanish Language course before you arrive in Spain (the host family can enroll you) and attend at least 20 hours per week. 
  • Non-profitable temporary residence permit (Autorizacion inicial de residencia temporal no lucrativa) – This permit allows you to travel to Spain. You have to prove that you can afford your stay and that you have health insurance that covers you during your stay.

Nationalities like Japan, Argentine, New Zeland can take part in the Au Pair program through the Working Holiday agreement.


EU/EEA citizens do not need a visa to work as an au pair in Germany. They only must register for a temporary residence permit after they arrive.

Non-EU/EEA participants obligated to have a visa, they need to make an application through the German Consulate in their home country. A certificate A2 level of German language from Goethe-Institute or a similar institution is required.

Future au pairs from Canada and the USA don’t need a visa, yet they must obtain a work permit in Germany. Citizens from Australia, Japan and New Zealand can apply for a Working Holiday Visa. 

Related Posts

Follow Us